The Parish Church of St Michael at the North Gate

 Specification of the Willis Organ

GREAT
Open Diapason 8
Stopped Diapason 8
Dulciana 8
Principal 4
Stopped flute 4
Fifteenth 2
Spitzquint 2 2/3
Trompette (from Positif) 8
SWELL
Viola 8
Rohrflöte 8
Celeste 8
Gemshorn 4
Principal 2
Mixture 19 22 II
Jagdhorn 16
Trumpet 8
Tremolo

POSITIF (unenclosed)
Gedackt 8
Spilflöte 4
Blockflöte 2
Larigot 1 1/3
Trompette 8
Sext 12 17 II
Zimbelstern
Tremolo
PEDAL
Open Diapason 16
Octave (extension) 8
Super Octave (extension) 4
Bourdon 16
Stopped Flute (extension) 8
Octave Flute (extension) 4
Piccolo (extension) 2
Trombone (from Swell) 16
Trompette (from Pos.) 8
Clarion (ext. from Pos.) 4

Crescendo Pedal (disconnected)
Balanced Swell Pedal

COUPLERS
Great to Pedal, Swell to Pedal, Positif to Pedal, Swell to Great, Positif to Great, Swell to Positif, plus full complement of Swell and Positif octave and sub-octave couples with unison off.

Previous organs: A faculty was granted in 1853 "to move the organ from the west end of the nave to the north transept, or a more convenient position". That was followed by an organ built by Martin of Oxford which was here from 1892 until 1914, when it was replaced by a three-manual organ which was moved to the church of St Mary & St John, Cowley Road in 1939. A Compton electronic organ was used during the Second World War and in 1947 the church acquired a large three-manual organ which had been built for Goodrich Court in 1896 and which filled the entire north transept, projecting into the nave. This was destroyed by the fire of 1953 to be replaced by the present organ.

Text taken with permission from The Organs of Oxford by Robert Pacey and Michael Popkin, Positif Press, Oxford 1997.

  <-- Back